Monday, June 6, 2011

Lucky Me

Mother's Day was great this year....but also very very bittersweet.  I know I sound like a broken record when I say that, but it's the truth.  I just can't help but think that Luke should have been there too, which is a thought I have constantly.  I know a lot will be be bittersweet this year....holidays, birthdays, vacations...I know he will always be with us, but it's just not the same.
Doug and the boys spoiled me beyond belief.  Saturday I was able to go down to Peoria and spend most the day with Kelsey at a baby shower her friends threw her down there.  So Doug kept all the boys and they went shopping.  I heard from Tanner that they had ventured to the mall...and I thought to myself "Holy Cow...Father of the year award!"  Even I don't take them all to the mall anymore...that just screams nightmare.  But they did it!  And I am sure they had fun too!  They really went above and beyond and I am so lucky to have these boys that make me the mother that I am. One of the sweetest gifts I received was a nice fold out chair that I could take to the cemetery every time I go visit Luke.  It was the perfect gift.  And it is a gift that I never thought would mean so much....so when Doug brought it in and said Luke wanted me to have this(the chair) so that I wasn't always sitting on the ground, the tears fell.
Tanner and Jake both made me a beautiful picture that their teacher shrunk down and put in a charm so that I can wear it on a necklace.  Such a sweet gift and they were so excited to give it to me that they couldn't wait until Mother's Day....they actually both opened them up for me on our way home from preschool Thursday.  So the celebrating started a tad bit early. :)
I love being a Mom.  I was raised by the most AMAZING mother!  She exemplifies everything that I hope to become. And maybe that is why I grew up always knowing and always wanting to be a mom.  That's it.  I never had a strong desire to venture much into the business world or go any other direction than a mother.  Doug knew I was ready to start a family when we got married but would tell me that he wanted to be selfish with me for a little bit and that there is no rush.  But after being married only six months I can still remember the day he said to me "I don't know why I wanted to wait....why would we wait? ".  I remember just crying because I was sooooo excited and anxious to start our family!  
I am so blessed to be the mother of my four precious boys.  There is a special bond between boys and their mother.  They are so sweet and loving and soooo protective....like when their Daddy tries to wrestle their mommy and they get scared or attack him because they don't want anything to happen to me.:)  I love them for that.(mostly because I hate being pinned down and tickled)
 Thank goodness they are so forgiving and understanding because I know that I have not been able to be the mother that I want to be the last 4 months since losing Luke.  I wouldn't trade it for the world though.  It's not always easy, but it is definitely always worth it.  
Doug gave all three of these rascals a buzz in honor of Mother's Day...ha!  or maybe just in honor of summer coming up!  I knew he was going to do it because I could tell he was more anxious than usual to give them their haircuts and he always tells me he is going to but I never let him:)!  I walked in after talking to Mom on the phone and he was on the last one....I should have known not to leave him alone with the clippers!:)  Actually though, they all LOVE them because that means they don't have to do their hair and it is one less thing to worry about when trying to get these boys out the door!  


18 comments:

Emily said...

Those are the cutest pictures! Your boys are great and you are the BEST MOM (& wife). You're awesome and I love you!!

Hammer Time said...

Sara.u make me want to be a better mom..to enjoy every minute. You guys are the best! Love ya!

The Roth's said...

Oh man I want a boy soooooo bad! You're all too cute! My girls protect their dad when we wrestle! punks.

Cindi Mills said...

You are so awesome. The cutest family ever. I love you all.

Erin said...

You didn't tell me about that gift! How perfect and thoughtful of Doug. Instant tears for me to. So glad you were spoiled this year. You deserve it.

sam and kyrsten said...

i love these pictures and all of their buzzed heads! sooo darling. i am sure each and every day especially holidays are so bittersweet for your family. it was so nice to have doug here for just a couple of short days, i wish that you could have joined him. we think about you often and hope you know we love your family so much.

doug taking the kids to the mall reminded me of when you and i were at the mall and the toy store tanner wanted to go to was closed. "im a little bit pissed about that" is a phrase OFTEN used in our home now :) love you!

Denyse said...

Your boys are so lucky to have you as their mother! I love the pictures, the boys look really cute with their buzzed heads! Love it!

JoZef said...

Oh i love you and your boys. You are a wonderful Mother and they will grow up to be wonderful husbands and fathers because of the love you have show them. Miss you so much! xo Heather

JoZef said...

shoot sara that's from me, Heather. :)

Karen said...

Now the tears are streaming down my face. Sara I think about you constantly. You are so strong. I always look on you blog for inspiration on how to be a better mom. Your family is amazing!!

Rebekah said...

Those are the cutest pictures! You are an amazing mom, wife, and sister. Doug and your boys are so blessed to have you. I am so glad your mother's day was special and you were spoiled. I love you so much!!

Kelsey said...

Oh that made me cry... that is the sweetest, most perfect gift. And those necklaces are so cute and I love that they couldn't wait to give them to you. You are such an amazing mom. I love you

The Foster Family said...

I love all your posts Sara- so glad you are blogging again. I know it is hard, but I benefit so much from your strength...and hurts...and finding joy through it all! You are amazing to me- so glad to know you!

Melissa said...

Lucky you is 100% right!! Those boys are even luckier to have you. Doug really went above and beyond this year for Mother's Day but you deserve that everyday. Wish we could have been there to help celebrate!! Love you!

Cordie said...

You are such a great example to me. I want to be a better mom just from reading your blog. :)

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

You are such a good mom Sara! I look up to you and hope I can be a wonderful, sweet, patient, mother like you are! You have handsome boys! Beautiful pictures!

Karleigh Tomlinson said...

There so many people who love you and look up to you! Such cute pictures, and I love what Doug gave you for mothers day, it was truly so thoughtful. I think of you all the time. Love you Sara.

Aubree said...

Loving the buzzed heads and loving that you were spoiled on Mother's Day. When I think of what kind of Mom I aspire to be, you are the one who comes to mind. What a thoughtful gift from Doug. I'm sure Luke helped him pick out the perfect one.