**Melis typed this all up for her blog and I just decided to steal it and put it on mine....
Oct. 21, 1984
My, my,- it has been 3.5 years since an entry has been put in this journal. In our lives, too many things happen in a short amount of time to not make more frequent entries. I will try to catch up and then do better in the future. Unfortunately, writing has not been on the priority list the past couple of years.
In Jan. 1982 through Feb. we had suspicions of another spirit preparing to come to our family. This was a very trying time for me. We were enjoying Jonathan so very much as a little baby and I did not feel like I wanted another baby right away. To struggle through guilt feelings yet honest emotions was very difficult. By March end I had pretty much passed the emotion turmoil in this pregnancy (which I hope I don't have to go through again!). I had a Dr. appt on April 6th which confirmed the pregnancy with a Sept. 21 due date. That same evening we had an appt with our Stake president Budge Wallis at his home. It was there that Jon was asked to serve as Bishop of the Cincinnati 5th ward. Jon went on a youth temple trip to Washington DC the nest week. The next month, may, I went on a temple trip with the Adults while Jon stayed home to watch the children. We have always alternated temple trips, even though it would be wonderful to go together all the time, we feel a deep obligation to care for our own children and know that our time will come eventually to do things together like that again.
I went in for our 3rd doctor's visit and Dr. Evans convinced me to have an ultrasound test thinking that I was too large for a Sept. delivery. I had the test on June 7th or 8th at the hospital and the next morning, the Dr. called me at home to let me now I was carrying twins!!! For the next few months Jon and I were both in an excited but unbelieving state of shock. Many sessions were spent in prayer with my Heavenly Father trying to get the faith, confidence and strength to make this as uncomplicated and rewarding as possible for our whole family. In comparing past pregnancies with this one they were pretty much the same. I gained a bit more weight than usual (about 10 lbs) and my feet swelled quite considerably.
Mom and Dad had been serving a mission in Mexico since March of 81 so we got a letter from them stating they were coming this way after their release to be with us at this very special time. They got there on Sept. 1st and we had time to do things like bottle tomatoes, chili sauce, have a sardine party with Dad, and wait for the twins to be born. On Tues. Sept 7th, I was feeling a bit strange that evening . Mother kept wanting me to call Jon at work, but I figured I had time to wait until he got home. Jon came home around 6:15 and Dad and Jon gave me a blessing after we had called the children in to tell them and the excitement and reservations hit a peak. As we left, Brian told me "Please mom, let them be BOYS!"
We arrived at the hospital around 6:50, checked in, answered questions, filled out forms, and then hooked me and the babies up to the heart monitors. It was always interesting to watch the machinery and instruments to keep deliveries as safe as possible. The doctor met us at the hospital, monitored closely and before I knew it, I was being transferred to delivery. A few pushed and we had Baby A ( a girl) at 8:08 pm. The next contraction came and push we had Baby B (a girl) at 8:11 pm. What a miracle, 2 babies, identical in the womb and both are complete and healthy. Baby A weight 5 lbs 3 oz and Baby B weighed 4 lbs 10 oz. They cared for the babies, wrapped them and handed them to Jon- one in each arm- what joy, what blessings. They shortly handed the girls to me on the table, rolled us out of delivery, took a picture of us and then took the new ones to the nursery to be monitored carefully for the next 12 hrs.
The next few days in the hospital the twins were staggered and brought one at a time for feedings. They were supplemented with formula to increase their weight as much as possible. They brought Baby A with a green and white stocking cap on and Baby B with a pastel cap on. We had decided to name Baby B- Sara with the German spelling which means "little princess" and Baby A we chose Melissa which means "lamb"
With the anxiety behind me as to what to expect during delivery or would the babies be alright, we were looking forward to the next experience of raising 2 at once. Mom, Dad and Jon spent as much time at the hospital visiting. The children came for a sibling visit and were amazed to see two babies that belonged to us. I stayed in the hospital until Monday - Sara's weight dropped to 4.5 lbs and they would not release her so Melissa stayed as well. I went over twice a day for feedings for the next couple of days. Mom and Dad went in the morning, Jon came at night with me. On Wed. morning I went to feed the twins and the Dr. asked me if I wanted to take them home with me....Sure Did!!
2 comments:
How wonderful that you have this journal entry from your Mom! My sister and I have journals from our birth mom and it is a cherished item of mine from her, I can't even read it without crying. I hope that one day I might be able to experience the joy of having multiples too!
This is so sweet to read and it makes me want to be so much better at journaling. Your mom must be incredible, I don't know how she did it all! I hope you both have great birthdays!
Post a Comment