When we bought our house I was excited because we already had a garden box that was built back by our basketball court. What I didn't know is that Doug was thinking about ripping that garden box out and expanding his basketball court. Of course he wanted to move the garden to another area in the yard, but who knows when that was going to happen. So for a while I thought that planting anything in the garden was pointless if he was just going to tear it down. But when he decided that we needed a garden and that he was going to postpone his court expansion plans:)....I went to work. The previous owners had never planted in the box though so I was kinda starting from ground zero. I definitely didn't know how hard the dirt was that was in the box and holy cow was it hard!!! I was trying to till it really good so that I could put a good layer of fresh soil on top and I thought it would be a quick fix, but boy was I wrong! This dirt was tough! There were these massive boulders of mixed concrete and hard hard soil that I thought were just rocks...thats how hard they were. I really had to put my back into it to get it ready for the plants. It was a definite work out!! I was so sore from tilling that dirt! But I knew I had to get those plants in before it cooled down too much! So once I got it to a good place, and poured and mixed the soil with the dirt, we were ready to plant! I have some amazing gardeners in my life that I kept calling and asking for advice. Doug's mom has an amazing garden and the boys love to pick from it and help water it whenever we go to Denver in the summer...she has a green thumb for sure. As well as my sister Erin who has done her fair share of gardening here in AZ! So she was also a go to person. But I am NO green thumb!
Melissa, Jaycee, and the boys helped a bunch and when all was said and done we had planted carrots, green onions, lots of broccoli, strawberries, asparagus, and romaine lettuce. I'm crossing my fingers and praying for something to grow! If I get one or two carrots I will feel like I have accomplished something!

No comments:
Post a Comment