Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fire Alarm Drama

Within the last week the fire alarm on our particular apartment building has gone off twice.  It is super loud and doesn't go off until the fire department comes and makes sure that everything is okay.  Last Saturday we were on our afternoon walk and we had just gotten back to our apartment and it went off.  So everyone filed outside and was standing outside until the fire department came.  So they came and everything was fine and that was that.  Well, yesterday Jake and I went to grab the mail while Mikey was taking a nap and as we were walking back into the apartment Jake went to ring the doorbell and then he pulled the fire alarm which is so perfectly placed at his level and is like 5 inches to the left of our doorbell.  I tried to yell "NO Jake!" and reached for his arm.....but I was too late.  Here we go again! I impulsively tried to push it back up...but of course that wasn't going to work, the thing doesn't budge once it is down.  Like it was really going to go right off if I pushed it back up anyways! haha... Everyone out of their apartment....the alarms going off like crazy....and everyone kinda put out that this is happening again!  I am so embarrassed....but I run inside and grab Mikey who was sound asleep in his bed and come back out and start telling everyone not to worry and that is was my child who pulled it.  I am sweating bullets and apologizing to everyone.  And I am almost positive....no...I take that back....I am COMPLETELY positive that Jake pulled it last Saturday and I just didn't see him do it.  That picture of the alarm is exactly what ours looks like and is exactly what Jake sees as he looks up at it too.  It just SCREAMS "TOUCH ME!" to a two year old....at least my two year old!  I asked the firemen if they could put those plastic cases on it like most fire alarms have and they told me they always highly recommend it especially when they are placed so close to someones door, but it is ultimately the apartment complexes decision.  So then I talked to them and they said that they would half to talk to the management about it.  I am crossing my fingers for this to happen!  The fire department charges the complex every time they have to come out, so it might be in their best interest!....and in mine for that matter!
He is the best at looking sooooo innocent!:)  Come to find out....Doug also did this when he was a child.  It must be in their blood!

8 comments:

Cassie said...

OH MAN! I would have died in embarassment too but I am sure everyone didn't mind that much. Afterall he is just too cute!

Anonymous said...

Poor Mommy trying to keep her cool! At least there were no riots - makes for good journaling.

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

Oh no! Haha, at least you know more of your neighbors now right?

This story reminds me of the time I was 4 or 5 and tried to call my grandma's on my own but called 911 (maybe cause they teach you 911 and I thought that number calls anyone you want.lol) and they showed up at our house. I knew I was in trouble when they found out it was me. lol

sam and kyrsten said...

i love it. when you told me this story i couldnt stop laughing! its so great he is so cute!

Mandy said...

cutest picture, and such a fun story. i couldn't stop laughing! you have the cutest family!

Debbie Jones said...

Oh so funny. Same thing happened to my little Wesley last year at the swimming pool at Tanna's condo complex. I was so embarrased too. I think 2 huge trucks came pulling up with their sirens blaring and we caused quite the scene. Boys--gotta love them! We sure loved seeing Doug last weekend. Wish you could have been with him. That Tanner is such a doll how fun to have him along. Take Care

Polly said...

Too funny! What a great story to tell when he is older :)

The Palmer family said...

Hey Sarah, you can totally steal some pics, i need to email you some more too.