Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Potty Training Tips Anyone?

So this is what the last couple of days have looked like around our house.  Tanner running around in his underwear because I decided that since we were finally home from all our vacations and travels that we really needed to hunker down and do this potty training thing.  He has no problem sitting on the toilet....but I swear the hardest part of all of this is for him to figure out the "feeling" of when he needs to go.  He will sit on the toilet for a long time and never go and then finally decide that he will try again later and within 5 minutes he is peeing on the floor.  Yesterday it was so funny/sad because he wanted to go on the toilet so bad and then he ended up peeing on the floor and he was just in tears because he didn't go on the toilet.  Do we just need to have a couple days of accidents?  And by the way....is it not soooo easy to just revert back to diapers and be lazy about all of this?  Because it is sooo tempting for me!  I have all sorts of treats and rewards and stuff that work for when he does go on the toilet......anyways, any tips?  Please!!!  

19 comments:

Abby said...

I searched online and read many many books and they are right they just get it when they get it. It took Noah months....to get it and then one day it just clicked. We are still working on the pooping thing?? But I have started over sooo many times but it is worth once they get it! But little boys especially do it all on their own will! Good luck!!

Erin said...

You won't get any useful ideas from me. At least Tanner wants to. I went to Walmart today and bought a huge pack of matchbox cars. Everytime he pees/poops on the potty he gets to pick a car. He was super excited at the store but not at all interested once we got home. I did convince him to go try right before we went swimming and he did it. He actually says..."It's coming" So I know he knows what it feels like. He still isn't motivated though.

Nikki (Have Joy) said...

Okay, I was terrified to potty train Taylen. But I got this great idea from a friend of mine who trains all her kids in one day, and it worked for me!

I set the buzzer for 5 minutes, and every time it went off I would set Taylen on the toilet. I made it really exciting each time it went off: YAY!! It's time to sit on the potty like a big girl! And we would clap and scream and go run to the toilet. If she didn't go, I would say, "it's okay, we'll try again in a minute." That way she didn't feel too bad if she didn't have to go. I also filled her up on all kinds of liquid treats: popsicles, juice, chocolate milk, anything she wanted. And every five minutes she sat on the toilet. She was drinking so much that she got to feel the feeling of having to pee pretty much all day. By the end of the day, she was telling me when she needed to go without me setting the buzzer. Perfect :).

We had a couple of accidents at the beginning of the day (even with sitting on the toilet every five minutes), but she quickly got the hang of it.

Every kid is different, so this might not work for you, but it worked like a charm for Taylen. GOOD LUCK!! haha. Let us know how it goes :)

Casey said...

I hope people offer you some really good advice because I'm clueless and I could really use the help for when it is William's turn. :)

Congrats on another boy! Your boys are going to love having siblings so close in age. :)

Moss Family said...

Go to pullups.com and make his own sticker chart.... and just keep trying. Corbin is pretty much trined with BM's but peeing is a whole nother story. Jeff has him stand up and "shoot" the cheerios... it helps. good luck!

kristina said...

I have no tips for you, but I will keep checking back on your comments for any ideas because I am getting ready to potty train Olea! and CONGRATS on your new little boy crunch!!! you are so lucky to have a house full of handsome boys!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey sara i thought i would give you a few different things we did. Take him to the potty every 1/2 hour until he figures it out. we always had the bowl on top of the toilet so he could see it. When bart was home and going potty they went together in the same toilet so he figure it out. If he is tall enough get a stand at ikea for 2.99 and it puts them right at the heighth they need not to miss then they feel like a big boy. I don't know how you guys feel about this but since he is a boy kolton would like to go outside in the backyard on the grass. So we let him do that for a few months then told him he was old enough to go in the toilet no more grass and he stopped. It took kolton a long about 2 weeks of wetting his pants at least 5 times a day but everyday he got better and figured out what the feeling ment. I hope i help.Becky Williams

Leah Finch said...

Hi! It looks like you had so much fun in Denver! I love it there and hope to go soon. All 4 boys could not get any cuter! My mom and I love to look at the pictures! About the tips on potty training, the timer thing worked for me, but we did it every 30 minutes, it took a week but that was it for Ellie. Chloe a different story it turned into a battle of the wits, so good luck and pray he's not like Chloe; )

Chad and Amanda said...

Your boys are so cute in this pic I love it. They have the cutest smiles. I wish I had tips for you on potty training. The only thing I heard was not to use pull ups because they are just the same as diapers. I have heard of the method that your friend Nikki used as well and that seems to work really well. I wish Lexi was ready for the potty.

Chad and Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

congrats on baby boy #3! i am so excited for y'all.
i did the timer every 20-30 min with halle and it helped, but one day i told her she couldn't be in dance lessons until she went on the potty b/c they don't let you come with diapers. and seriously she went pottty 5 min. later for the first time! we also set a goal of a week with dry training pants and then she got princess panties, and later when she had accidents her teddy (her most prized posession) would go in time out till the next day. that one really worked well. good luck!

Melissa said...

update....

KTLADY said...

I want to know how your pregnancy is going!??! We wish we could see you guys! Love you!

S and K said...

OH I am SOOOOOOO right there with you. I have taken the evil bait of just dealing with diapers because I can't deal with what happens when we "miss" the toilet!!! to put it very very nicely! :) So when you find the golden combination--let me know. I'm pretty sure its cool to be in 3rd grade and still have diapers so that's the route we're on!!!!

mamabit said...

I love your blog! You have such darling boys. Congrats on one more coming. Ok, here is what I did many years ago. Alan, the pediatrician helped me with this one. Brian wasn't really ready as soon as the girls but this was our technic. I took the child shopping to choose their own big boy pants. Then they picked out their favorite candy. (Skittles, M & M's etc.) The candy was put in a clear jar in the bathroom. That way he could see it. He knew that if he went on the toilet he would get a piece of candy in each hand. If he sat on the toilet and didn't go there was no treat given. (That is the hardest part for mom.) You really have to be consistent! Also there is no other candy during the day, so that it is really a special treat when he does get it. I also stayed home for a week (sometimes longer) Don't put any pants on him, only his underwear. That way when I would see him it reminded me that we were potty training. Make a big deal about it when he goes! Call daddy, grandma, etc. He needs to know it is a great thing that he has done. If he and you are struggling put a diaper back on and try again in a month. No one likes the frustration you or the child. (Remember no treats, not even just one if he doesn't go) Good luck I am so happy to have caught up on your family through your blog. Let me know how it goes. Love, Marilyn

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

I miss you guys! ;(

Karleigh Tomlinson said...

hey what up! I'm glad you posted this b/c I am started to potty train Haleigh and I don't any good ideas. So thanks to everyone else! Congrats on boy #3! You are well prepared for another boy! I hope things are going good.

Tiffany said...

I kinda have been out of the blogging world for a while, and get caught up on everyones lives! I am right there with you at this potty training stage. Brynnly has her moments of loving to wear big girl panties and then will throw the biggest fit and want to wear her diapers. I wish I had some pointers for you, but I read everyone elses ideas so I will have to try some out. Any luck so far? When do you guys move back? It looks like you guys have had a fun time there!

Sanette said...

I totally reverted to diapers, they are so much easier, but not easier for the child in the end. Sadie would sometimes ask for a diaper during our training--not helpful. Anyways, I've mentioned this before to Erin, I'm probably a mean mom, but one day I was just fed up with the fact that I would ask Sadie if she had to go, and that she needed to sit on the potty (mind you we'd been potty training for a LONG time), and she told me she didn't NEED to go. So I WARNED her that if she ended up going potty on the floor in a minute or two that she would get a SPANK (yea, I know awful, but I was tired of putting her on the potty, and then a minute later having her go on the floor). Well, wouldn't you know it, she decided right there that--oh!--she did have to go, and from then on, no more accidents. I guess you gotta find what works for your child. Hopefully Tanner isn't as stubborn as my girls :)